RSS Feed

Gun Safety

Bob was hunting pheasants when he heard Mudd, his five year old German shorthair pointer, yelp.  Mudd crawled out of the brush covered with blood. An exam and radiograph revealed multiple small puncture wounds and radio opaque pellets in the tissue. He was hit with a shotgun blast. Fortunately, he was far enough away that it was a low velocity impact. Although the pellets are made of lead, we elected not to remove them. We started Mud on antibiotics and pain medication and will monitor him for lead poisoning.

0982036001595884494.jpgMudd, Bob, and Rob0992070001595884386.jpgRadioopaque shotgun pellets0974264001595882652.jpgShotgun cartridge filled with lead pellets